Monday, June 22, 2009

Hose, as energy.

Hose is back!

This time not as art but as solar heat for the lukewarm tub..

Back in May I posted a pic of the art installation "Hose, on Pavers" as displayed on my backyard patio. It was showcased for 3 days in that particular installation until it was rolled up. Although Hose did reappear repeatedly in the last 5 weeks it's artful presence was never quite the same. Now art becomes power!
.

The POC Spa-N-A-Box from Comfort Line Products finally got on my last 'I-can-fix-it' nerve back in August 2007. After a little over two years of fighting to keep the hot-tub hot (and pumping water) I finally gave up. Sad, I know. Too many times having the excitement of a late evening hot tub soak be ruined because the POC heater reset button was tripped (the button that is hidden underneath the unit and not explained in the owner's manual and you find out about it when you call customer service). Since the thing heats up at about 1.5 to 2 degrees an hour it's best to go take a hot shower at this point. When the water stopped circulating the $36 for a new water pump and reheating the water AGAIN was one thing, but two months later when once again there is no heat and the reset button isn't tripped they say "Now you need a new power pack. That'll be $395. Would you like to put it on the same credit card as your previous fixes?" Ummm, no!

Jump to present day. Lots of time on my hands. It's getting hot & humid. Now what? I guess this "spa" could still make a fun mini-pool for the unemployed. Sure it would. With approximate diameter of 62" and a water height of 25" I figured it would cost about $3.80 to fill (assuming my water rates are the same as the last bill) and I can afford that. Sure I can. But can I sit in 62 degree water? No. Can I wait for the sun to heat the water to 80 degrees? No. So that's where Hose comes in. 150 feet of it. The idea is to circulate the water from the tub filter through hose and back in the tub. The output of the system seems to be 2-3 degrees warmer then the input. $3.55 for a rubber connector with clamps and Hose is now a solar mini-pool heater!

1 comment: